SCOTT SHANNON AND THE TOP 40 ALL-TIME SUMMER FAVORITES FROM FORGOTTEN HITS!
June 21, 2010
HEAR YOUR ALL-TIME TOP 40 SUMMER FAVORITES on the radio! All day today, SCOTT SHANNON will be featuring selections from YOUR ALL-TIME TOP 40 SUMMER FAVORITES on The True Oldies Channel … you can “Listen Live” here: 94.7 WLS-FM
I wanted to do a blog about summer, but I didn’t have any ideas, until I read the blog today from Kent Kotal and FORGOTTEN HITS. The readers of this ’60s and ’70s music forum voted on the TOP 40 ALL –TIME SUMMER FAVORITES!
I was not only impressed with the final list, but also how it was arrived at. Kent questioned, “What if you asked the REAL oldies fans out there … the ones who have seen their share of summers over the years … they’ve seen the various trends come and go … I just couldn’t help but wonder what songs best evoke the Spirit of Summer in the eyes and ears of The REAL Oldies Fans? (Of course, I suppose I could have simply listed MY All-Time Summer Favorites … but to me, that approach always seems to take on a “I Know Music and You Don’t” connotation … or, as I like to call it, the “Jann Wenner Philosophy of Music”!)
So, instead … in 2001, we polled our readers … and received about 400 responses … hardly an overwhelming or decisive amount (but you have to remember that we did have a much smaller circulation then … and we were also polling a pretty selective audience.)
In 2006, we decided to ask our readers again to vote for their All-Time Summer Favorites. This time about 2100 people responded … yet the majority of The Top Ten remained the same. Hmmm … maybe a trend was beginning to develop here … maybe these really ARE the All-Time Summer Favorites.
Just to be sure, we asked our readers AGAIN in 2010 … and this time we received about 9200 votes!!! And guess what … the SAME song that came in at #1 in 2001 … and ALSO came in at #1 in 2006 … came in at #1 AGAIN in 2010!!! And by an increasingly larger margin each time. (Enough so to officially proclaim this year’s victory a LANDSLIDE!)
That’s good enough for me!!! I believe that we can unequivocally state FOR THE RECORD that the list you are about to review is, WITHOUT QUESTION, representative of The All-Time Favorite Songs Of Summer as determined by The Oldies Nation. (See if you agree!)”
1. SUMMER IN THE CITY – The Lovin’ Spoonful (#1 each and every time we’ve run this poll … and by a LANDSLIDE this year too!)
2. A SUMMER SONG – Chad and Jeremy
3. HOT FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME – Sly and the Family Stone (These two tracks have ALWAYS finished near the top of the list … but this is the first time they’ve flip-flopped their ranking!)
5. IN THE SUMMERTIME – Mungo Jerry
(Just try not to sing along with THIS one … I dare ya!)
6. THEME FROM “A SUMMER PLACE” – Percy Faith
(A Summer Favorite … and an Instrumental Favorite … the vocal version by
7. SUMMERTIME – Billy Stewart (A popular song, “Summertime” was nominated by everybody from Billy Stewart to Janis Joplin to Billie Holiday to American Idol Winner Fantasia Barrino!)
8. SUMMERTIME BLUES – Eddie Cochran (Likewise, this one earned votes for Eddie Cochran, The Who and Blue Cheer,all of whom recorded successful versions of this summertime classic!)
9. CALIFORNIA GIRLS – The Beach Boys
10. SUMMERTIME, SUMMERTIME – The Jamies
11. I GET AROUND – The Beach Boys
12. HERE COMES SUMMER – Jerry Keller
13. CALIFORNIA SUN – The Rivieras
14. SURFIN’ USA – The Beach Boys
15. DANCING IN THE STREET – Martha and the Vandellas
16. SEALED WITH A KISS – Brian Hyland
17. FUN FUN FUN – The Beach Boys (Is there a better summer song that this one??? And it was released in FEBRUARY!!!
19. SATISFACTION – The Rolling Stones
20. WONDERFUL SUMMER – Robin Ward
(A #1 Record here in Chicago!)
Now Artie Wayne cleverly slips in a plug. I wasn’t going to let this golden oldie opportunity to go by and not mention that I have a connection to 15 out of the first TOP 20 records listed.
I gave up some precious mastering time at Bellsound in N.Y.to my friend Artie Ripp so he could master “Summer in the City”!
My partner Kelli Ross and I ran Leslie Gore’s publishing companies which included “California Nights”.
Kelli and I also represented the publishing companies of Peter Udell and Gary Geld “Sealed with a Kiss”.
I helped get my pal from the past Alice Cooper (“School’s Out”) get on the first show of my former manager, Don Kirshner’s “In Concert” series on ABC.
When I was General Mgr. of Warner Brothers Music we ran Sly Stone’s publishing company which included “Hot Fun in the Summertime”! We also published Gershwin’s “Summertime”, Eddie Cochran’s “Summertime Blues”, and “Theme from a Summer Place”.
I sang with Jerry Keller (“Here Comes Summer”) and Ron Dante (“Sugar, Sugar”) as the Duprees for one record.
When I was running Irving – Almo music, I represented Mungo Jerry’s “In The Summerrtime”, and five Brian Wilson songs in the first TOP 20, “All Summer Long”, “California Girls”, “I Get Around”, “Surfin’ USA”, and “Fun, Fun, Fun”.
FOR THE COMPLETE LIST FORGOTTEN HITS OF THE TOP 40 ALL-TIME SUMMER FAVORITES Click here: Forgotten Hits
To reach Scott Shannon http://scottshannon.com
Copyright 2010 by Artie Wayne http://artiewayne.wordpress.com/about-artie-wayne/
BACK TO ARTIE WAYNE ON THE WEB http://artiewayne.wordpress.com